Horse Health Lines: Autumn 2009
The Autumn 2009 issue of Horse Health Lines is now available online. View your own full-colour copy of the WCVM Equine Health Research Fund’s news publication in a new, reader-friendly format.
Here’s an overview of what you will find inside this issue of Horse Health Lines:
• EQUINE TEETH TELL VITAL HEALTH STORY: A WCVM research team complete a baseline study that identified the most common oral pathologies in horses.
• POWER POINTS – EQUINE ACUPUNCTURE: A WCVM team led by Dr. Steve Manning are testing the effects of acupuncture on reproductive problems in mares.
• CD PREPS STUDENTS FOR REAL THING: Techniques in Equine Medicine: A Self-learning Module is a new educational CD that’s hitting the third-year equine lab at the WCVM.
• IT’S A WRAP: WCVM’s Large Animal Clinic now has upgraded surgery suites and nuclear scintigraphy technology.
• FATAL FEED: Toxicologist Dr. Barry Blakley explains why horses and monensin definitely don’t mix.
• SOLD! BRICKLEY COLT RAISES $1,400 FOR RESEARCH: Bob and Lois Brickley of Moose Mountain Ranch repeated their generosity to the EHRF during their annual production sale in September.
• A BRIDGE TOO FAR: Ethyl alcohol falls short as a minimally-invasive option for fusing the pastern joint in horses diagnosed with high ringbone.